جامعة لوباتشيفسكي الحكومية في نيجني نوفغورود
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN)
Lobachevsky State University of Nizhni Novgorod (UNN) was founded in 1916 as People’s University of Russia. On January 30 (January 17 in the old calendar) we celebrate our Foundation Day.
Our university was the first higher education institution in Nizhny Novgorod. After the merger with Polytechnic Institute evacuated from Warsaw, the University was given a status of ‘State University’. Thus UNN became the first university established in the Soviet state.
The first university of Nizhny Novgorod laid the foundations for the development of the system of higher education institutions in the city. In 1930, six institutes resulted from the transformation of some faculties of State University of Nizhni Novgorod. They were Institute of Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Institute, Teachers Training Institute (‘Pedagogical Institute’), Agricultural Institute, Construction Institute and Medical Institute. In 1932, UNN comprised faculties of Physics, Mechanics, Zoology, Botany, Chemistry and Mathematics.
By mid – 20th century, Lobachevsky State University was a research and educational hub, consisting of world-renowned scientific schools of the Theory of Oscillations, Crystallography, Radio physics, Metal-Organic Chemistry, Chemistry of High-Purity Substances, Theory of Functions, Theory of Dynamic Systems, and Population Genetics. The laboratories of UNN served as the initial basis for the foundation of Nizhny Novgorod Institutes of Russian Academy of Sciences.
By that time, there had been significant achievements in the humanities – UNN philologists were actively engaged in researching into language styles and styles of speech as well as folklore and the literary works of famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin, which were created during his stay in Nizhny Novgorod region.